Stepping Stones School has been rated by Ofsted as “a Good School with Outstanding personal development, behaviour and welfare for the young people, and an Outstanding Post 16 and Careers provision”.The Ofsted inspection provided the following ratings:
Overall effectiveness Good
Effectiveness of leadership and management Good
Quality of teaching, learning and assessment Good
Personal development, behaviour and welfare Outstanding
Outcomes for pupils Good
Sixth form provision Outstanding
Overall effectiveness at previous inspection Good
Ofsted’s overall summary of why we are a good school was:
- Strong and effective leaders are committed to improving outcomes for pupils. Leaders make sure that the independent school standards are met consistently.
- Staff are led very well. They are highly motivated and work effectively as a team. Staff morale is high and they are united in their aim to meet pupils’ needs.
- Leaders have adapted the curriculum well to provide pupils with employability skills.
- While teaching, learning and assessment are good overall, there is a small amount of variability in its effectiveness across the school.
- Pupils make good progress across the curriculum, in English and mathematics as well as the wider subjects.
- Sixth-form provision is outstanding. Students are exceptionally well prepared for their next stage of education or employment.
- Safeguarding is effective. Staff care for and support pupils exceptionally well.
- Over time, pupils make great gains in their personal development, behaviour and self-esteem. They are highly appreciative of what the school does for them. The school has a strong family atmosphere in which pupils thrive.
- The majority of parents and carers would recommend the school to others and say how it has transformed their children’s lives. However, a small proportion of parents feel that their concerns have not been addressed well enough.
- Leaders ensure that all required checks are carried out thoroughly on new staff. However, there were a few minor omissions on the single central register of checks. These were easily rectified during the inspection.
- Although governance provides clear direction for school leaders, governors have not visited the school regularly enough to ensure that all administrative aspects of the school are working as well as they could or should do.
Compliance with regulatory requirements
- The school meets the requirements of the schedule to the Education (Independent School Standards) Regulations 2014 (‘the independent school standards’) and associated requirements.
We invite all our parents to take part in the Ofsted Parent View which gives you the chance to respond to a simple questionaire on the school's performance: