Stepping Stones Charity
Stepping Stones School is a charity that has provided special needs education in Hindhead for over 12 years, growing successfully year on year. The school is a focus of many activities in the community hosting clubs and summer activities as well as events for local residents. The school also works in partnership with a number of local schools, businesses and charities.
Many local residents also know the school through the Cookie Bar, located in Royal Huts Parade, which is linked to the school as part of a social enterprise scheme. Students gain work experience here and parents regularly volunteer in support of both the school and activities supported by the COINS Foundation in Africa.
The Charity operates the school through a Board of Governors.
Our Funding Foundations
Today the school is supported by two charitable foundations in the following ways:
Board of Governors
The Board of Governors report to both of our funding foundations on the overall work and development of the school and welcome members of each onto the board. The main role of the governors is to hold the leadership of the school to account acting as a ‘critical friend’.
"The headteacher and governors have made successful changes to ensure that pupils receive high levels of care and good outcomes. Consequently, the school meets all the independent school standards." OFSTED 2016
The board is currently:
• Jane Rudlin-Jones, Parent Governor. Appointed September 2015.
• Ellie Clayden, Doctor, Community Governor. Appointed September 2016
• Gloria Vessey, Barrister and Founder of Advocates for Children, Community Governor. Appointed October 2016.
Governors who have resigned their position on the board in the last 12 months are:
- Vix Benson, Parent Governor. Appointed January 2015, Resigned 31/5/16. Vix remains a parent of the school and is dedicating more time to her family.
- Sandra Pay, Staff Governor. Appointed January 2015, Resigned 31/12/17. Sandra is no longer a member of staff at the school.
Governor Attendance 2015/16
Tim Armitage 100 %
Vix Benxon 50%
James Dickson 80%
David Forbes-Nixon 100%
Jo Franklin 50%
Anne Hayes 80%
Jane Rudlin-Jones 100%
Norman Stromsoy 89%
Larry Sullivan 86%
If you would like to contact the Governing Board please write to:
Mr Norman Stromsoy, Chair of Governors, Stepping Stones School, Tower Road, Hindhead, GU26 6SU